Saturday, December 25, 2010

The Gift


Christmas morning, after the surprise of colorful hats, scarves and gloves from Santa, we sat amidst our messy loots in our new pajamas and pleasantly conversed while waiting for Dad to distribute the gifts from under the tree in the other room. When Rosamund realized it was time for the gift exchange, she jumped up excitedly and said, "First, I want to open my presents. . ." Before she had finished her sentence, it seemed the entire room was ready to tell her that we had to take turns according to tradition, when she concluded, ". . .that I have for all of you." As a group, we chuckled at being thus taken aback and were momentarily impressed by her benevolence until, the noisy unwrapping began again, and her words were soon forgotten. But I have been thinking about what she said ever since.




I made it a goal yesterday and today, to try to be more Christ-like so that others may remember Him easier. For some reason, it was really hard. In fact, it seemed like the more I wanted to be Christ-like, the less like Him I actually was.



Yet, my eight-year old little sister, perhaps childish and naive in some eyes, so easily reached that goal herself. She was more concerned with what she gave than what she got. My mom couldn't figure out what to buy her this year because she never asked for anything. And today, because of her willingness to give so unselfishly, I remembered the unselfish gift my Savior gave to me.


In The Living Christ it says, "[Christ] gave His life to atone for the sins of all mankind. His was a great vicarious gift in behalf of all who would ever live upon the earth." This vicarious gift is the reason for Christmas! I am so glad that we have the opportunity to celebrate Him. His gift was to all, and not only was it a good gift, but it was a GREAT gift--the best gift we could ever receive!


How eager must He be that we all accept it? Perhaps, like Rosamund, He would jump up and say, "I want you to open the present I have for you!" Do we open it? Do I? Am I as eager to accept His gift as He is to give it? I hope that I am. I pray that in accepting His gift, I can no longer merely desire to be like Him, but actually BE like Him: that maybe next time I can remind someone of Him the way Rosamund reminded me.


Painting by Liz Lemon Swindle

1 comment:

  1. You continue to amaze me Brittney Lee! Keep up the gteat work; this is one excellent blog!

    ReplyDelete