Wednesday, December 15, 2010

My Star


The expanse of a clear night sky is incredible to behold, what with its never-ending darkness contrasted by twinkling, vigilant points of guidance. Since I was a young girl, I have had a fascination with the stars. For just by looking at them, I felt I could almost grasp the impenetrable mysteries of God, and almost touch the depths of His love. Often, in my times of confusion, trial, contentment, or pure joy, I have scanned the heavens with my heart drawn out in prayer, and found, not only sparkling constellations, but small lights of hope that would streak across my view. Oh, how those shooting stars would lift my spirits! They always served as a reminder that my Maker was ever watchful and ever mindful of His children.

Last night, I experienced another of those moments, but this time, I wasn't praying. I wasn't in the mood for it, but was merely down-hearted, hopeless and confused. After a very long day which included unpaid work hours until nine p.m. and little food causing a pulsing headache, I received some sad news. So I sat in my car and stared distractedly at the over-cast night sky that matched my spirits.

Suddenly, burning through the clouds, almost in slow motion, appeared the biggest meteor I have ever seen, leaving a long, blue-white streak behind it. I kept waiting for it to disappear, only to see it sink lower and lower towards the horizon, like a lure of light plummeting to the bottom of the atmospheric sea. It seemed that time stopped in that fraction of a second, and I remembered the most important thing I know: Jesus Christ lives, and He is my reason to be happy.

No matter what happens in life, no matter the crashes, falls, breaks, bruises, heartaches that make my wrists hurt, or confusions that numb my brain, no matter what mood I am in, whether it be good or bad, no matter where I am in this vast world, the truth that the Savior of mankind, died, and now lives, will stand incandescent among all other truths. His light can and will penetrate my densest of clouds and my darkest of nights; and if I let it in, I can be left glowing.

4 comments:

  1. Oh I love you and your writing! I too love the heavens and I couldn't have said it better! Thank you for blogging.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Britt, welcome to the blogging world. I miss you and enjoyed reading your message. It reminded me of laying on your trampoline and looking up at the sky at night....and sitting on your barn roof ,working out the problems of the world. Good times, good times.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love you!!!!
    I think you should turn this into a poem. I like it.
    Yay blogging!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh this is Bekah by the way...I am on Brett's profile I guess

    ReplyDelete