Tuesday, December 21, 2010

I'm Glad There Aren't Holes


Just as the stars complete a midnight sky, so do the lights of others' lives enrich and complete my own.

Remember Clarence, the angel without wings on It's a Wonderful Life? He said, "Strange, isn't it? Each man's life touches so many other lives. When he isn't around he leaves an awful hole, doesn't he?" Well, after just celebrating my twenty-sixth birthday, I have been contemplating the person I am, verses the person I want to become. While thus contemplating, I began to realize the astronomical number of people who have affected my life--to make me into the me I am today. These people range from my childhood babysitter, to my parents, who continue to influence me daily: from the mother of my best friend in elementary to every single one of my Relief Society presidents: from my first grade teacher to my internship supervisor. Where would I be right now if I had not met some of my best friends? What decisions would I have made without the examples of strong, beautiful Young Women leaders? How many holes would I, unknowingly, carry with me everyday if someone in the expanse of my lifetime was left out?

I am grateful, not only for the omnipresent light of Christ, but also for His light that I receive through others. Although, I have much to improve, I believe that which is good in me has come, in large part, due to the good influences of those around me. Somehow, I wish I could send this message to everyone I have ever known, to thank them for contributing to who I am. This Hymn, number 283, expresses my appreciation best.

1. Each life that touches ours for good
Reflects thine own great mercy, Lord;
Thou sendest blessings from above
Thru words and deeds of those who love.

2. What greater gift dost thou bestow,
What greater goodness can we know
Than Christlike friends, whose gentle ways
Strengthen our faith, enrich our days.

3. When such a friend from us departs,
We hold forever in our hearts
A sweet and hallowed memory,
Bringing us nearer, Lord, to thee.

4. For worthy friends whose lives proclaim
Devotion to the Savior’s name,
Who bless our days with peace and love,
We praise thy goodness, Lord, above.

1 comment: